Rural RDI milieus in transition towards smart Bioeconomy Clusters and Innovation Ecosystems (RDI2CluB) No. R043
Bioeconomy includes economic activities that utilize the biological natural resources and turn them into food, energy, and other products and services. It is founded on the use of clean technologies, renewable natural resources and recycled materials. The rural areas of Baltic Sea Region (BSR) have a great potential for bioeconomy as they have abundant natural resources. However, the rural regions in BSR struggle to reach their full bioeconomy potential due to limited human capital and the lack of specialized clusters and network effects that are typical for urban areas. RDI2CluB unites authorities, research, development and innovation (RDI) institutes and business development bodies from five regions to a joint quest of boosting smart and sustainable bioeconomy development in the rural areas of Baltic Sea Region. The participating regions are: Central Finland (Finland), Hedmark (Norway), Switokryzkie Vaivodeship (Poland), Vidzeme (Latvia) and Estonia.
Objective:The main objective of the RDI2CluB project is to develop smart, sustainable and inclusive growth of bioeconomy in the rural areas of Baltic Sea Region by uniting all innovation actors – entrepreneurs, policy makers, researchers, as well as local society members, in regional and transnational cooperation.
Activities:The RDI2CluB project includes the following activities:
- Identify the most potential bioeconomy and promising interfaces for innovation and new business development;
- Prepare joint action plans for developing Bioeconomy Clusters and Innovation Ecosystems;
- Develop a joint Operation Model for Innovation Management applicable for the project areas and other regions;
- Testing of joint Operation Model for Innovation Management by local pilot cases along with the virtual platform – Open Virtual BSR Biobusiness Hub.
- Publication “25 Cases for Bioeconomy”;
- Biobord – international network and online platform connecting bioeconomy developers;
- Video: Bioeconomy and science based organic farming in Latviai;
- Innovative impact report that visualizes the story of the RDI2CluB project;
- Article in magazine “Saimnieks” (in Latvian).