New seed preparation technologies for pre-sowing and sowing No. 18-00-A01620-000051
More information about EU European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development in European Commission here.
Institute for Environmental Solutions, SIA “Vidzemes mežsaimnieks”, SIA “Damuižnieki” with a support from EU European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development, Rural Development Programme for the years 2014 to 2020 16. action “Cooperation” 16.2. sub measures “Support for new products, methods, processes and technologies” supported project No. 18-00-A01620-000051 are developing new seed preparation technologies for pre-sowing and sowing of slow groving plants.
Seed quality is important to obtain high yield as it contributes to high germination rate, promotes seedling vigour and weed competitiveness and increases nutrient use efficiency. Germination rate is important for agrotechnology. Cereal seeds germinate in 3 to 7 days whereas for seeds of medicinal and aromatic plants germination can take 21-24 days. or harvesting because they differ the volume of cropping promotes healthy and productive plants, limits the weeds, increases the efficiency of fertilizer application. From production point of view the efficiency of seeds sprouting is one of the most important factors. Seeds of crops after sowing takes 3 to 7 day to sprout but most seeds of medicinal and aromatic plants and vegetables takes 21 to 24 days to sprout. As a result, weeds have time to grow and suppress the crops with slower germination rate. Weed control is challenging for conventional and even more organic farming.
Create and support cooperation between entrepreneurs in agriculture and science, in order to:
- develop new technologies for pre-sowing seed preparation for plants with slow germination;
- develop solutions for technologies of sowing of the pre-sowing prepared seeds;
- disseminate knowledge gathered during the project via various communication channels to contribute to development of the sector.
1. development of the technology fo seed germination that includes testing in various germination environments, development of solutions for seed coating, prototyping technologies of seed prepearing in pre-sowing period;
2. development of technologies for seed sowing that includes testing of germinated seeds under field conditions and development of new sowing technologies;
3. dissemination of the knowledge that is gathered during the project to different audiences.
Project duration: March 2019 – February 2021
Leading partner: Institute for Environmental Solutions
Partners: SIA “Vidzemes mežsaimnieks”, SIA “Damuižnieki”
Project administrative manager: Valts Līcis, email@example.com
Project scientific manager: Ieva Mežaka, firstname.lastname@example.org
Project is financed by: EU European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development, Rural Development Programme for the years 2014 to 2020 16. action “Cooperation” 16.2. sub measures “Support for new products, methods, processes and technologies”
Co-financers: Institute for Environmental Solutions, SIA “Vidzemes mežsaimnieks”, SIA “Damuižnieki
Total budget: 99115,02 EUR, including public financing